Track changes to the Plaid API
This changelog tracks all updates to the API. Prior to September 2020, some minor updates may not appear in the changelog. For backwards-incompatible, versioned changes, see API Versions.
This changelog tracks only changes to the API. For changes to Link SDKs or to client libraries, see the GitHub changelog for the relevant SDK or library.
- Made Bank Transfers (beta) available for testing in the Development environment.
statusobject returned by Institutions endpoints.
- Removed some internal-only, pre-beta products from appearing in the
- Restored the
/payment_initiation/payment/token/createendpoints to API version 2020-09-14 to avoid disrupting update mode for end users on older mobile SDKs that do not support Link tokens. These endpoints are still deprecated, and it is recommended you update mobile apps to the latest SDKs as soon as possible.
- Released API version 2020-09-14. See the version changelog for details.
- Added support for mortgages to
- Released Bank Transfers to closed beta.
- To improve consistency with other error types, changed the error type for Bank Transfers errors from
- Added the fields
/link/token/createto support the new Returning User Experience, which allows users a more seamless Link flow.
- Introduced standing orders to Payment Initiation for our UK and Europe customers. If applicable, your users will now be able to make recurring scheduled payments with a single authorization.
- Expanded access to full Auth coverage to more developers. If you would like to use micro-deposit based verification and don't have access to it, contact your Plaid Account Manager.
Added the ITEM: USER_PERMISSION_REVOKED webhook, which will notify you when a user contacts Plaid directly to delete their data or change their data sharing preferences with your app.
Released Link tokens, the new preferred way to use Link, replacing the public key. To learn how to migrate your application to use Link tokens, see the Link token migration guide.
- Added a new
merchant_namefield to the
/transactions/getendpoint for the US and Canada, providing clearer and more consistent merchant names for 95% of existing transactions.
- Added the PAYMENT_INITIATION:PAYMENT_STATUS_UPDATE webhook, which pushes instant notifications when payment status changes for the UK Payment Initiation product.
- Added the ability to create payment recipients via sort codes and account numbers, not just IBANs.
- We launched a new open finance platform called Plaid Exchange that enables financial institutions to build a consumer-permissioned data access strategy and strengthen the ability of end users to reliably access their financial data.
- Launched Payment Initiation in the UK, which offers an easy way for users to fund their accounts, make purchases, and pay invoices—all from their favorite apps or websites.
- Added the ability to filter by
account_subtype, allowing you to further optimize the Link flow.
- Added the
INVESTMENT_TRANSACTIONS: DEFAULT_UPDATEwebhooks, which will fire each time data has successfully refreshed for Holdings and Investments Transactions.
/transactions/refresh, which enables you to pull a user’s transactions on demand.
/webhook_verification_key/get, which allows you to verify the authenticity of incoming webhooks.
- Added the
investment_transactions.subtypesfield to provide more granular detail about the tax, performance, and fee impact of investments transactions.
- Added the
status.investments.last_failed_updatefields to the data returned by
- Added the
/institutions/get_by_idand the Developer Dashboard.
- Added the
routing_numbersfield to the Institions object. You can also filter institutions via the
options.routing_numbersfield in each Institutions API endpoint.
- Added support for credit card details to the Liabilities product.
- Added Canada-specific account subtypes, including RRSP, RESP, and TFSA, to the Investments product.
- Among numerous other improvements to Liabilities, such as expanded data access, added a new
cancelledto the Liabilities product.
- We launched Liabilities, which enables developers to access a feed of standardized student loan details from the largest U.S. servicers including Navient, Nelnet, FedLoan, Great Lakes, and many more.
- Launched Investments, which allows developers, fintech apps, and financial institutions to create a holistic view of their customers’ investments.
- Added the
status.transactions_updatesfield, exposing Transactions health to both the
/institutions/getendpoint and the Dasbhaord.
- We enhanced the
/identity/getendpoint to now return account-level identity information within the
accountsobject where available.
- We released API version 2019.05.29 to enable European institution coverage and provide nomenclature and schema updates required by Identity and future products.
- We updated the institutions endpoints so you can now retrieve bank logos, colors, and website URLs to use to customize your in-app experience.
- We enabled triggering and testing of webhooks on demand via the new
- We launched new features for Auth, enabling developers to authenticate accounts from any bank or credit union in the U.S. Link automatically guides end-users to the best way to authenticate their account based on the bank they select.
- Added a new Insights feature, which provides cleaned and categorized transaction data in an Asset Report. In addition to transaction categories, lenders will be able to retrieve merchant names and locations for transactions to use in building risk models.
- We added the
/asset_report/refreshendpoint, so you can create a new Asset Report with the latest account balances and transactions for a borrower, based on the old report.
- We added account filtering, which gives you the ability to exclude unnecessary accounts from appearing in an Asset Report.
- Added historical account balances to the PDF version of Asset Reports, bringing them closer in line with the core JSON endpoint.
- We released the 2018-05-22 version of the Plaid API.
- We enabled distinct API secrets to now be be set for the Sandbox, Development, and Production environments.
- Added the
/sandbox/public_token/createendpoint, which enables the creation of Items in the Sandbox environment directly via the API (without Link).
- Officially launched the Assets product. Assets is approved by Fannie Mae for Day 1 Certainty™ asset verification.
- Rolled out several Assets features, including webhooks for Asset Report generation and full support for Audit Copy token generation and Fannie Mae’s Day 1 Certainty™ program, while improving existing features like pending transaction support in PDF reports.
- Released Assets as a beta product.