Link errors and troubleshooting
Errors in the Link flow
Link error codes
Any errors during Link will be returned via the Link flow; for details, see the guide for your specific platform. Since any failed user attempt to log on to a financial institution for any reason, even an incorrect password, will result in a Link error, you should expect to see the occasional error during Link. In most cases, Link will guide your user through the steps required to resolve the error.
The most common case in which you will need a special flow for Link errors is the
ITEM_LOGIN_REQUIRED error. For instructions on handling this error, see Updating an Item.
For more details, or if you need to troubleshoot a problem involving an error message from the API, see Item errors.
Your user cannot find their financial institution in Link, even though it is one of the 11,500+ institutions supported by Plaid.
- The institution does not support one of the products specified in Link initialization.
- The institution is associated with a country not specified in Link initialization.
- The institution is associated with a country your Plaid account hasn't been enabled for.
When a user tries to connect their account, they receive a message in Link that Plaid may be experiencing connectivity issues to that institution. For more details, see Institution status in Link.
- Plaid's connection to the institution is down or degraded.
Your user has multiple Items that seem to represent the same underlying set of accounts.
- The user added the same Item more than once.
Some of the end users' accounts are not present in the Item, or a new account added by the user does not appear in the Item.
- The user linked their account via an OAuth flow but did not grant your app permission to all of their accounts.
- The user linked their account via an OAuth flow but did not grant your app permission to any new accounts.